Wednesday 12 November 2014

Intersectionality

The term intersectionality, when used in the context of discrimination, indicates that we often relate to one another based on more than one aspect of who we are. The most common aspects are race, gender and class but one could add other aspects like religion, sexual orientation, age and many more.

When I was in Nairobi last week I saw some examples of this, that I wanted to share.

How can one know if this is the door to the toilet
for women or men? Maybe it is the toilet for
people with shoes that's got high heels?

I used this toilet, but I am not a smoker.

The next two photos are of course examples of another kind of discrimination. Worse! Next to my window a new building were built. The laborers were working under terrible conditions. Just look at these two pics.

A balancing act!

The scaffolding was just worthless.

No comments: