Monday 4 November 2013

Glimpses from the WCC Assembly

Another interesting day at the WCC 10th Assembly in Busan. Allow me to just give a few glimpses. It was the fourth day of the Assembly program but it was my 9th day.

In the Morning Prayer the scripture reading was interpreted by a drama group. While several readers read about Philip baptizing the Ethiopian Eunuch (Acts 8:26-40) the drama group illustrated the reading. When the scripture reading quotes a passage from Isaiah and the drama group was acting it became very clear to me, that this also was a message into our own time:
He was humiliated, and justice was denied him. 
This happens all the time to human beings as well as to the rest of creation.

In the thematic plenary we got greetings from both the Palestinian bishop Munib Yuonan and Rabbi Norman Solomon (I think this was his name) from the International Jewish Committee on Interreligious Consultations. It gave me hope to see them together.

After lunch I took part in a workshop with the YWCA and thereafter Ecumenical Conversation number 3. And after the tea break another activity in the Madang.

We were many thousands who could not take part in the most important activity today, namely the Elections in the Business Plenary. Only delegates and a few others can participate. I know it was a difficult session, though. According to the election rules of the WCC there are many perspectives to take into account. First of all the different geographical regions have to be represented equally and according to how many member churches they have (or how big the churches are). Secondly the different traditions have to be represented (Oriental, Orthodox, Protestant etc.) Thirdly the nomination has to take into account that it should be a balance between lay and ordained people. There is furthermore a quotation system for people with disabilities (sometimes called people with special abilities) and for indigenous people as well as for gender and age. Not an easy task to solve.

I do not know if they managed to elect people to the central committee including a new moderator. But I know that the 8 presidents have been elected. The one for Europe is the Archbishop of Church of Sweden, Anders Wejryd. As far as I know there were no other nominations. He has a long experience from the WCC and will have time for this, as he retires next year.

But outside BEXCO other Christians continue to pray and demonstrate. One has to admire there persistent struggle against a movement, which for them is Antichrist. Every time I pass them I greet them with the peace of God and usually they greet me back. At least we are not fighting physically!



So many protesters. I was there but I didn't get the T-shirt.

No comments: