Friday 8 November 2013

Closing prayer in Busan


Father Michael Lapsley, who lost both his hands and one of his eyes in a letterbomb attack carried out by the South African Security Police in 1990 - after the release of Mandela. He can speak convincingly about the need for healing of memories. 

The 10 Assembly of the World Council of Churches is over. I am just back from the closing prayer. Allow me to quote the preacher, Father Michael Lapsley, on some important points:

About post-apartheid South Africa:
In our context in South Africa when a black mother sits with a white mother and says that her child never returned form fighting apartheid, the white mother may reply, my child did return but is still damaged by what s/he experienced. Suddenly they are both mothers united by the pain they carry.
About the Armenian genocide in 1915:
Your Holiness and All Armenians – may I today say from this place, we have heard what you said – your people did indeed suffer a great wrong. May the Great healer accompany you so those wounds may truly heal to enable all Armenians to also help others on their journey of healing.
About human sexuality:
Today I want to say as a Christian, as a priest, to all the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex community, I am deeply sorry for our part as religious people, in the pain you have experienced across the ages. I have a dream that in my lifetime, I will hear all the leaders of all our great faith traditions making the same apology.
Referring to the context of the risen Lord, as the scripture was read from Luke 24:28-35:
The crucified and risen one invites us to look at and touch one another’s wounds – to listen and to hear the pain of each other and so become one.
It was a strong message about how we as an ecumenical movement, being so different, still are called into unity.

The need for this became very clear when after the sermon we were invited to exchange peace with one another. Just before this one or maybe two protesters ran into the worship hall and aimed for the microphone in order to denounce the WCC as evil. The protesters were literally carried away and we were a few who felt sorry that they were handled quite brutally.

Tomorrow I will start the journey back home, back to South Africa. It has been very rewarding weeks. Although I am quite exhausted I know I will cherish this for the rest of my life. And I am more dedicated than ever to the theme of the Assembly:
God of life, lead us to justice and peace.

2 comments:

Jan said...

Thank you brother for all your reports from the assembly! Thanx to you I have almost been there.

Anders Göranzon said...

My pleasure, Jan! And thank you for your perspectives.