Thursday 16 May 2013

Can I learn to speak isiZulu?


We just received a communique from the Deputy Vice-Chancellor for teaching and learning, who is also the chair of the UKZN language board. I quote:
I am pleased to advise that the University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN) is pioneering the introduction of isiZulu proficiency as a module in all undergraduate degree programmes.
I believe it will cause some discussions. I have already seen comments on Facebook, like these:
Amen. Its long overdue.
Utter nonsense!!! Another attempt at 'transformation' aka reverse apartheid
And in the case of International students? It makes no sense.
Brilliant idea- No one questions English
It would be possible to continue. Some love it. Others hate it. Which is quite predictable. Personally I would love to attend one such module although I don’t believe it will be enough if proficiency is the goal. The vice-chancellor continues:
It also reflects UKZN’s commitment to the development of isiZulu as an academic language alongside English which at this stage remains the main language of learning and instruction. The approval of this principle marks a watershed for UKZN.
Is it going to work? I hope so, because there are more people in South Africa having isiZulu as their first language then Swedes having Swedish as their first language. In the communique from the Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Renuka Vithal, it is stated the following facts:
24% of South Africans speak isiZulu making it the most widely spoken language in the country
81% of people in KwaZulu-Natal speak isiZulu and 14% English
If somebody came up with the idea in Sweden that nobody could be taught in Swedish at university level, most people would regard that person as crazy. So why not isiZulu as an academic language in South Africa?

Having said this it is still going to be a challenge. I guess I will publish more blog posts on this topic.

1 comment:

elisabet said...

In Sweden there are suggestions from time to time about English as the only spoken an written language at university. The opposition to this is most of the time deep. Now I think the discussion is sleeping.