Monday 29 April 2013

Lex orandi, lex credendi


This is latin. It roughly means: “The way you pray determines what you believe”. The quote is from a book by Alister McGrath. Christian Theology. An introduction. Wiley-Blackwell. West Sussex. 2011. He also says this:
In recent years, there has been a rediscovery of the fact that Christian theologians pray and worship, and that this devotional context shapes their theological reflections. (McGrath 2011:142)

We use this book as the main course book in a Systematic Theology course, which i co-teach, with two other colleagues.


I am very happy to be a Christian Theologian, who has a devotional context. It is not my only context. But it is one of my important contexts.

Yesterday this context was the Lutheran Theological Institute, where I was the celebrant and also the preacher. I was working together with a number of students. One of them was Cebisa, who was the liturgist, i.e. the one who leads the service.

Here are some photos taken by Pontsho and my wife. I enjoyed this first experience of leading a Sunday service in this part of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Southern Africa (ELCSA).


 

     In this part of ELCSA incense is used.                                      After the service - greetings.


No comments: